A total of 100 people were killed in last Friday’s attack on the central mosque of North Nigeria’s biggest city of Kano and 135 people were wounded, Rabiu Musa Kwankaso, the governor of Kano state, said.
Rabiu Musa Kwankaso was speaking to reporters after visiting one of the hospitals treating the victims. Officials had said on Friday that 81 people had been killed in the attack, Reuters reported.
Gunmen set off three bombs and opened fire on worshippers at the main mosque in Kano in an attack that bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram terrorist group, although the attack has not yet been claimed.
The targeted mosque is next to the palace of the emir of Kano, who is the second highest Islamic authority in Africa’s most populous country and a vocal critic of Boko Haram terrorists.